Traveling Alone to Bath

Some go to Bath to capture bit of Jane Austen’s sensibility and bask in the fabulous 18th century architecture.

Some go to Bath for the shopping. High street chain stores as well as unique antique, gift and fashion shops make it a destination for shoppers. (I must confess to buying a pair of fabulous red boots.)

But, what really attracted me to Bath were the baths.

Don’t get me wrong, there is much to recommend in this beautiful, historic city. There’s the Mayor’s Guides Free Walking Tour that gives you a history of the city and a good walk around all the highlights. There’s the  Bath Abbey and Pump Room for a bit of historic extravagance. And two great spots for good value and atmosphere are The Bathtub Bistro and The Raven pub. But what I enjoyed the most was soaking up some history in the Roman Baths.

Roman Baths, England

Roman Baths, Bath DetailRoman Baths viaduct

This post about solo travel to Bath first appeared on Solo Traveler, the blog for those who love and those who long to travel alone. Why not visit the blog and join the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. Photos via Solo Traveler

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Traveling Alone to Bath”

1. Connie
    May 2, 2011 at 10:55 am #

When I visited the UK in 2009, I asked around for which cities I should not miss and Bath was one of them! SO GLAD that I took their advice because that town is just so cute and I love the Roman ruins! GREAT photos!

2. Evi @evitravels
    May 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

As a fellow bath lover, I highly recommend Budapest for soaking! The Szechenyi baths are the most beautiful I’ve ever seen.

3. Elle
    May 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

What gorgeous photos! I visited Bath in ’07 and instantly fell in love with the town. I agree, it’s no wonder the whole city is a World Heritage Site!

4. Jo Weidman
    May 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I love seeing these pics and remembering 25 years ago when I was there. Also, really looking forward to taking my daughter there this summer. I remember Bath being so beautiful.

5. Nadia | Gap Daemon
    May 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Bath is so pretty, I love it! One of my favourite times of year to go is Christmas (though it seems silly to be thinking of that with summer round the corner) – there’s Xmas market is magic.

6. Abi
    May 11, 2011 at 11:50 am #

I love Bath – lived there for a few months and even went back to get married there. The Assembly Rooms are also worth looking at – dripping with chandeliers and atmosphere.

7. JimJ
    October 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

As a Bathonian, let me just say that.. I wholeheartedly agree! I love it here, and visit the Roman Baths at least once every couple of years (if for no other reason than to brush up on my history). Lived here for 27 years and counting!