The Waffle House in St. Albans

Waffle House, St. Albans

Not to be confused with the Waffle House chain in the USA, the Waffle House in St. Albans is a local institution. Famous throughout the United Kingdom, the Waffle House in St. Albans is housed in a 16th century watermill and overlooks the River Ver.

The menu is divided into two sections: savoury and sweet. I couldn’t quite get my mind around the concept of a savoury waffle but I decided to go for it – that’s what travel is all about isn’t it? ;-)

One of the specials was waffle with chunky bits of lamb topped with vegetables and a creamy green pesto sauce – you guessed it: I took the plunge and I’m glad I did. The lamb was incredibly tender and the pesto sauce was delicate and definitely not overpowering. The waffle under it was perfect: crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

The savoury waffle with lamb and pesto

It was my first experience with savoury waffles and I really enjoyed it! Everyone thought I’d gone mad when I started pouring dollops of maple syrup on my plate but trust me, the silky, sweet syrup goes very well with the lamb and the waffle! YUM! :-)

If you’re visiting St. Albans – a place I highly recommend (it’s just a quick 20 minute train-ride from London’s St. Pancras Station), treat yourself to a fabulous waffle at the Waffle House! And while you’re there, ask for a tour of the old water mill.

Link to the original post: http://velvetescape.com/blog/2010/11/velvet-escapes-culinary-journey-st-albans/
IMAGES VIA: Keith Jenkins
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “The Waffle House in St. Albans”

1. Ciki
    March 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

i must say, savoury waffles are not my thing but.. hmmm, for this and your gorgeous photos, I will make an exception! LOL

2. Laura
    March 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Savoury waffles would mean something like cheese and mushroom to me so lamb and pesto is definitely different!

3. Melvin
    March 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

I had waffles with cheese & tomato & it was soooo delicious! I never expected it to be sooo good!

4. Jane Colston
    March 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

My favourite from the Waffle House is hummus, avocado, sundried tomatoes and olives – delicious!
    Don’t miss walking across the road into Verulamium Park to see the Roman ruins and then on to the medieval cathedral at the top of the hill.

5. Paul Steele
    March 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Savoury waffles is a recent new experience for me too, and yes was surprised how good and tasty they are. This one looks delicious. *Hunger Pang* :)

6. Rona Newman
    December 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm #

Hard to believe I have lived in St.Albans for over 50 years and never been to the Waffle House. Oh I knew it was there and always intended to go.So these pictures have finally decided me.

7. devadas
    May 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

indeed, beautiful place, just like in fairytales

8. James
    May 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Ever since i came back from the south of America i have been all about waffles and fried chciken… not the greatest of healthy living lifestyles but it just so good, Gravy on top of it! delicious

9. Carlos
    May 16, 2013 at 7:41 am #

I’m still struggling to get my head around this, as a Canadian living in London, i have mixed sweet and savory for many years which my English companions find odd, however I cant see how this works, i mean it looks lovely but the lamb and pesto combo looks to rich for the waffle?